After last episode’s recording fail, there’s a lot to discuss! Kate’s dipping her toe into TIKTOK, Katherine’s reading a LOT of uplifting fiction/non-fiction, plus the hosts talk debut author experiences — have things changed since their books came out?
This episode the featured book is brought to you by BFredericksPR and Gregory Ladner.
Gregory Ladner is one of Australia’s most enduring fashion designers, with a career spanning over four decades across Australia, Europe, and Asia.
From humble beginnings designing outfits and dressing his teddy, to studying fashion at university, Gregory has worked as an Australian couturier, for legendary Melbourne institute Le Louvre and as an international designer who once worked in Hong Kong. Gregory was the creator and designer of the hugely successful fashion accessory company, Gregory Ladner, which is still available in major department stores around the country.
We’re delighted to talk to Gregory about his memoir A Boy and his Bear.
Gregory has a number of events coming up including:
BRISBANE WRITERS FESTIVAL:
- May 10th, panel event called Best Dressed, with Deni Todorovic (Love This for You) moderated by Carody Culver of the Griffith Review. Book here.
- May 11th, panel even called Funny About That with Sita Walker (The God of No Good) Siang Lu (The Whitewash)and Alexandra Collier (Inconceivable) moderator Jonaton O’Brien. Book here.
BOOK LAUNCH & SOLO EXHIBITION OF PAINTINGS BY FASHION DESIGNER GREGOR LADNER
- Friday 12 May, 6 – 8pm
- GalleryOne93, 93 Poinciana Ave, Tewantin, Queensland
- More information here (GalleryOne93)
- More information here (Annie’s Books)
- Fundraising event in support of The Children’s Hospital Foundation, Queensland.
Things the hosts discuss:
- Kate’s experiments with TIKTOK. Listeners! Tell us about your TIKTOK experiences!
- Bookpeople gift card via article from Books and Publishing
- Avid Reader book subscriptions
- Molly’s Cottage book boxes (see Insta)
- The Little Book Room bookclubs for children (they also do subscriptions)
- ‘When do I earn out?’ (Publishing calculator) – developed by Hana Lee via article by Australian Society for Authors (ASA)
- Inconceivable by Ally Collier
- ‘Bookseller Survey Finds Debut Authors Struggle with Lack of Support‘ (article)
- 2022 National Book Survey of Australian Authors
- Amie Kaufman’s brand new YA fantasy Isle of the Gods! Amie’s excellent substack and podcast.
- Royals by Tegan Bennett Daylight.
- Michelle Prak’s The Rush
- Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld
- Prettier if She Smiled More by Toni Jordan
- Pardon my French by Rachel Mogan McIntosh
- The Dressmakersof Yarrandarrah Prison by Meredith Jaffe
- This interview with Anna Kendrick on Armchair Expert with Dax Shepard (you can only listen on Spotify)
- May 8 – Claire Christian – Kate will be launching Claire’s new book ‘West Side Honey‘ – for people listening on the day we release this! (Check out interview with Claire Christian)
- Susan Patterson launch May 18