Gabrielle Wang is an award-winning author and illustrator of more than 20 novels and picture books for children and young adults. She was born in Melbourne of Chinese heritage. As a result, Gabrielle’s books are a blend of both Australian and Chinese culture, with a touch of fantasy. In March 2022 Gabrielle was named the Australian Children’s Laureate for 2022-2023.
Our conversation covers:
- Stories and storytelling as a part of early life
- Growing up Chinese-Australian in a very white Australia
- Prophetic dreams
- Gaby’s mentor Hazel Edwards, author of There’s a Hippopotamus on our Roof Eating Cake
- Magical experiences in life
- Gaby’s writing process – She’s a pantser and starts with the setting (illustrations come last)
- Letters from readers
- Her role as Australian Children’s Laureate
ID: headshot of a smiling woman of Chinese-Australian heritage, wearing a blue shirt. She has a back cocker spaniel dog on her lap.